Please Note due to space and copyright issues images and scanned documents have been removed, but by clicking This Link you can download and view the full version of the work. The document remains the property of Ron W Watts and cannot be reproduced without his express permission The online versions has some visitor additions marked (in red) The rights to additions remain the property of Catswebcom Community Web ServiceMore information has been added by Mr T Fish concerning Bush StreetForwardWhile 55% of our history has already been recorded by a number of eminent writers in some shape or other, this paper looks at the names of our streets and in some cases, using the 1851 Census to see who occupied which house. However, we soon came to the conclusion that it would not be practical at this time to research the whole town, therefore we have only covered parts of the Centre Ward as it stood between 1851 with some even earlier coupled with some minor intrusion into its neighbour Wards. We make no claim that what has been written here is completely accurate, as much of what happened in the town has already been lost in time, and while some is still in the hands of our elders, some of what we are told would be closer to Myth and Magic rather than what took place, especially when it comes to placing a shop or public house in the right position.It will at some stage be necessary for others to fill in the comings and goings at least on a yearly base, to add to it for future generations? This record is far from complete, as new information comes to our notice almost on a daily basis; furthermore those who contribute to it in the years ahead may find other subjects worthy of recording. Ron Watts PATER 1814 The beginning for Pembroke Dock came in 1812, when a misunderstanding took place between the government and the late Honourable Robert Fulke Greville, proprietor of the land at Milford, where a dockyard was used by the Admiralty. The consequence was that Mr Stone, the master shipwright, whose observant eye had discovered the singularly advantageous situation of Pembroke Dock, then called Pater for a naval arsenal of the largest extent, recommended it to the Government, who on surveys being made, quickly took advantage of the proposition, and in 1814 H.M. Dockyard Pembroke was formally established by Order in Council of 31st October 1815. The Royal Dockyard was established on the south shore of the Cleddau River, between the remains of a 1757 zigzag fort, named so because of its shape, and a stone built tower, better known as Pater Church which today (2009) still stands defiantly within the former H.M. Dockyard, where in the opinion of some was an old Church; but there is good reason for believing that it was really a domestic building rather than ecclesiastical architecture. It is certain that David de Patrick Church had a residence here. 'His daughter and sole heiress, Ellen, about the 1st of Henry VI., married John Adams, Esq., of Buckspool (Bierspool), several of whose posterity in the reigns of Henry VIII., Edward VI., Mary, and Elizabeth served in Parliament for the town of Pembroke.'-Arch. Camb., vol. VI., 1851. This old tower is in all probability all that is left of David de Patrick Church's family house.On the other hand, it might well be said that the David de Patrick Church family derive their name from a local Patrick Church? Or was it their name that was best remembered, and did he not only live there but was he the lookout for Pembroke Castle which was and still is just two miles south. The map on page five is a copy of an undated Ordinance Survey showing the boundary of Pembroke and Pater Ward, and while it is difficult to read, those two areas are clearly shown. That said you will see the Pater Ward is in the parish of St. Mary and starts close to the Pembroke River in the south up to the banks of the Cleddau River in the North. You will also note that the East/West borders stretch from the Pennar mud flats on the west side, to the Lower Road known today as Ferry Lane on the east side. Furthermore Upper Road now named Pembroke Road can also be seen, as can the track on which Pembroke Dock was initially built on.Today that track is still in use; it starts at the corner of Commercial Row and Queen Street and continues via Queen Street, Dimond Street and Hawkstone Road all of whom were build on it, today the only remaining part of that track is the path known as ‘Bird Cage Walk’. At this stage I must bring to your notice that had Mr White (a sheep farmer) not taken the £4,455 offered by the Admiral in 1813 Pembroke Dock may never have existed today, Vivian Hay, who owns the Nut Shell shop on Queen Street, proudly reminds visitors that Mr White is an ancestor of his. The population of Pater Ward by 1831 was 3,076. The population increased over the years as shown by the following Census returns:- Census Inhabited Houses Population. 1851 1069 6,236 1861 1353 10,190 1871 1670 9,622 1881 1752 9,871 1891 1912 10,481 2008 3950 9,154Up to 1891 the totals included; Military and Shipping Populations of Pembroke Dock, the other difficulty in recording accurately was the size of the Ward. For instance Pater Ward up to around 1900/06 recorded houses which today are in Pembroke, and to this day the Population numbers do not count students who are away from home. In 1875 at the age of 66, James Anderson Findlay wrote a handbook for visitors to Pembroke Dock in which he writes, ‘Pembroke Dock is situated on the south side of Milford Haven, in the County of Pembroke, at a distance of about 9 miles from the sea. Latitude 51° 42’ N., Longitude 4° 55’ West, of Greenwich and is 286 miles from London by Railway’. Most of the Town was built before 1914. However the number of new buildings were slowly extended the Town eastward and southward from the Dockyard, while others were the replacements of old and substandard houses. Between the two wars there was virtually no new builds in the area and it was not until 1945 that new estates of private and council houses were planned. In the 1950s and early 1960s it was Government policy to demolish whole areas of ‘unfit’ houses and the Pembroke Borough Council, implementing this policy, demolished the whole of King Street and King William Street. Many other houses were classed as individually unfit and were also demolished as part of the same policy. The closure of the Dockyard in 1926 was felt by all, including towns and villages throughout the south of the county. But another blow to the town came, when in 1967 the Military left the town and the garrison, which was once the seventh largest in the United Kingdom closed.Many felt this was the final blow and a great many families left the town never to return, while others remained and retrained to find work, that stubbornness paid off and today Pembroke Dock possesses a number of first class steel and welding Companies complete with other disciplines who supply to a number of companies on both sides of the Cleddau River whether it’s for Oil Refineries, Gas Terminals or Power Stations the work force at Pembroke Dock can and do supply their needs.By the close of 1814 the Royal dockyard was expanding at an incredible pace. And at that time the workforce would walk from as far away as Milford Haven, Narberth and Dale, and would not return home until Friday, but would sleep at their place of work, it was therefore found necessary to provide housing for them, and with the need to have this workforce nearby, the first row of buildings were constructed on the east side of the dockyard running north to south, and as the buildings were self build by the workers who wished to live in them, the Admiralty helped them by allowing them to leave work at 1600hrs as opposed to 1800hs. And having completed their house, it did not take them long to realise the potential of renting their front rooms to the traders.This eventually gave the street the name of: COMMERCIAL ROWNo.1 was the first house in the ‘row’ and later become the Customs House. The house was originally a dressed stone single storied building used by H. M. Customs. The exact building date is not known but was probably c1818. It was later converted into a house by adding a second storey. In 1939, it was occupied by Frederick Stuart Griffiths and Martha Griffiths. It was bought by Dyfed County Council in the 1980s and used as a Respite Care Centre for the handicapped until it was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the construction of Route 9.No.2 The early years are yet to be researched, but in 1939 it was occupied by Joseph M. Robinson and Agnes Blanche Robinson. It was demolished after 1939 but before 1953. No record has been found of the reason for demolition.No.3 The early years are yet to be researched, but in 1939 it was occupied by John O’Brien and Catherine O’Brien. It was subject to a demolition order and demolished in 1950.Nos.4, 5, & 6 The early years are yet to be researched; these buildings were demolished before 1939.No.7 The early years are yet to be researched, the Census of 1939 show that it was occupied by Stanley Devote, Edith Devote and Louise Brickle. It was later included in the ‘Clearance Area’No.12 in 1957 this building was purchased for redevelopment. The Anchorage day centre now stands on the site.No’s.9 & 10 Bowling’s Furniture shops and restoration works occupied these houses, Bowling’s shops are now gone and the buildings have stood empty for some time. In 2009 these shops fronts are to be restored.No.15 the BELL and LION Public House was mentioned in the Pigot & Co Directory between 1870 and 1914, (Added by Alison Styles July 2015 Just to let you know that in 1915 George Duncan Bond died at the Bell & Lion, 15 Commercial Road. Two yrs later his wife remarried John Davies and it shows that she was still the proprietress of the Bell & Lion in 1917.)the licensee at the close was James Evans. It appears that the new owner was Thomas G. and Mrs Valerie Bowling who chose not to register as a Public House, but they were certainly open during WW2. WILLIAM TREWENT lived and traded in ‘Standard House’? In Slater’s Directory for 1840, he is listed as Linen and Woollen Draper, plus a Grocer a Maltster, Brewer and a General Commission Agents. On the birth of his son Francis in 1814 he set in place; The Trewent Scholarship. Later Francis Trewent took on the business and moved it to Meyrick Street which was still there in 1870. He was a Justice of the Peace, and Mayor of Pembroke for 1866/67 he was also the first Treasurer of the first School Board in the Borough formed under the Education Act 1870. No.17 BOWLING’s traded from this building in 1856, for all kinds of household furniture, carpets, hearthrugs and linoleums. Closed in 2006 awaiting re-development No.? 1850 was the first and last time the LONDON TAVERN was mentioned in the Hunt and Co’s Directory and Topography, the Licensee was George Ellwood. No.? The ROYAL OAK was here between 1840 and 1870, the licensee was Nathaniel Owen. The next time it appeared was in Pennar 1880. No.? Hunt and Co’s Directory and Topography show that the NAVY TAVERN was on the row in 1850, but in 1870 it appeared in Pembroke Street, which suggests that Pembroke Street, in the early years, was part of Commercial Row. No.15 the BELL and LION was first mentioned in 1870 and closed in 1914. No.? The GEORGE appeared in1870 and lasted just ten years, the licensee was Mary Nicholas. No.? The MILFORD ARMS appeared in Slater’s Directory in 1870 WINDSOR CASTLE public House, but following the death of a Royal it was changed by Royal Command to the DUKE of WELLINGTON who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. His Royal Highness William 1V (1838-1837) was to have attended but he sent a message to say he was dining with his friend the Duke of Wellington. A house on Commercial Row bearing the latter’s name after the Iron Duke was Messrs. D. P. Saer and Mr. Johns chemist shop. Following a fracas in the Duke of Wellington on the 3rd of October 1854 a Garrison Order was issued by Colonel Clifford commander of the Royal Monmouthshire Militia stating that ‘no man shall henceforth enter the premises, the piquet will parade the town from 7.30 pm to 9.30 pm to preserve order’. Around 1993 this order was still on record at the Haverfordwest Police Station No.20 W DAVID the tobacconist who closed his shop in the 1960’s and to date (2009) it is being renovated. No.23 A. PHILLIPS & SON (C. S. Phillips and R. Morgan) Tailors and Outfitters of ReputeThe slogan was; before you purchase your Girls or Boys School Wear, etc. Boys Blazers from £3/19/6. Next came Mr Snow who traded as a cloths shop under the name of HIPPS Ltd, he closed in the early sixties. In 2007 TV Connections moved to this building. No.24 CHINA GARDEN Chinese food outlet No.26 ALBION PROPERTY MANAGEMENT Residential Lettings No.25 THE BARBER SHOP No.28 the ‘BEEHIVE’, in 1825 A. L. Williams and Moore & Co built the first chemist; Moore and his wife Elizabeth (nee Dawkins) built this house on the first quarter of the proposed market. The chemist closed in 2006, and in the last quarter of 2008 it was converted to flats. However because it is in a conservation area the Façade has been sympathetically restored and the building still carries the name ‘Moore’s the Chemist’. And it was inevitable that with hundreds of workers in the yard the traders soon arrived. The following is a write up by the Traders Association Pembroke Dock & Milford The ROYAL OAK opened in 1830, Nathaniel Owens was the Licensee, and according to Hunt & Co’s Directory it closed in1850. It was apparently used as a place of call for mail and coaches. Its sign, which has long disappeared, was painted by a supposed well-known artist who after his self-imposed task absconded, no one knew when or where he went. The ROYAL WILLIAM was first listed in Robson’s Commercial Directory in 1840 it also listed the Licensee as William Painter. At some point in 1850 it closed. It was next listed in 1870 at No.3 Pembroke Street, and in 1884 it changed its name to the White Heart, where according to Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory the licensee was Thomas Page. Here we have a repetition of the Navy Tavern which was mentioned earlier and goes some way in believing that Pembroke Street was at some stage part of Commercial Row.The young lady above was printed on a post card, originally the photo showed her at the northern end of Commercial Row looking out over the water.Commercial Row also hosted the Red Lion but as yet I have no knowledge of its where-a- bouts. On the North side of Commercial Row, overlooking the river a new street was emerging as a number of houses were being built, and was eventually named: THOMAS STREETN0.1 The name came from the occupant, who was the Master Shipwright Mr Thomas and his wife. By 1830 the house having been empty for a while became the KINGS ARMS which was first registered in 1830 and to this day (2009) is still a Public House. By this time the street had materialised and renamed: FRONT STREETThe name speaks for its self as the river at full tide comes up to the road. The remainder of the houses were completed in short time and with it came a few more Public Houses. No.? MARINERS registered in 1835, by 1870 a pub with this name was licensed in Lewis Street No.17 CROWN AND ANCHOR registered in 1926 No.? CHAIN AND ANCHOR registered in 1870 No.33 this was a farm house built before 1800, following the construction of new houses in that area the farm was sold, the house was revamped and is now hemmed into a terrace wish still stands on the street.No.? MASONIC registered in 1870 No.? MILFORD HAVEN registered in 1870 No.? HEART OF OAK registered in 1870 Because a Hotel or Public House is not mentioned in the Commercial Directory for Taverns and Public Houses, does not mean it was not where you thought it was, or that it had closed, in those days and in most cases they would not waste money to get their House mentioned in the Directory. The dockyard like its workforce was expanding day by day, which in 1826/7 triggered more housing, such as;PEMBROKE STREETThis road acquired its name from the fact that it went to Pembroke, but as we have already discovered that part of the road from the Market to Victoria Road is believed to have been an extension of Commercial Row and was later changed to Pembroke Road (c1850) the remaining part of the road, that is between the junction with Treowen Road at the top of Ferry Lane is still in place. As it was the most direct route from Pembroke to the Dockyard, it was also used by members of the Admiralty to ride to and from Pembroke to collect their mail, but it was not long before the Admiralty gave this new hamlet a name which would then allow the Mail Coach to stop here, the address was; The Royal Dockyard, Pembrokes Dock, Pembroke, and the drop off point for the mail was the Clarence Hotel on Victoria Terrace, where they also dropped the London papers, where at 10 o-clock a person would read the paper aloud to the gathering crowd. The Exchange Supply Store was opposite the Market House (1826), Rollings opened his store in 1820, below is a resume of what he traded;Looking at the picture on page 10 we can see that Lewis & Son had a business beside Rollings, but as yet we have little information on his business except that he later moved into Mr Huxtable’s butcher shop on the other side of the street, when he moved to Dimond Street.No.15 T. Rogers has been the proprietor for 12 years and supplied wine, spirit, ale and stout including British and foreign wines of the best quality.No.21 A picture of Mrs Mary Morgan’s Bazaar is below, she had a stationers and fancy goods shop from about 1901 until sometime between 1920 and 1923. She also published a large number of views of Pembroke Dock both as postcards and in bound volumes. The MAYPOLE DAIRY Co LTD was trading on this street, today (2005) it is a Café, where the original sign is still in place.No.11A The Aero Cafe (Opposite the Market) Luncheons, Teas etc supplied at reasonable terms. A Nunnery existed on the west side of the road, which now has been converted to apartments While we are on this street I will mention that in July 1855 new reforms were introduced in the Army, which opened places for soldiers to increase their learning, the Royal Monmouthshire Militia having arrived that year set up a reading room in Pembroke Street. It is thought the reading room was in the building (which in recent years the hire of films and DVD’s). No payment was required of the men to make use of the room, but a Lance Corporal was appointed as a reading room clerk and he would open it from 1130hrs daily. The papers and journals, which could be found in there were as follows: The Times, The Globe, News of the World, The Star of Gwent, The Monmouth Beacon, Hereford Times, Illustrated London News, The London Journal, Punch, The Family Herald, United Services Gazette, Potters News and Cassel's illustrated Family Paper. In 2009 Pembroke Street consisted of 35 houses. The Museum has also acquired a metal coal burning cooker which was apparently made in Pembroke Street; apparently a foundry was on the west side of the street!Following is an advertisement from a page of an unknown publication in which it appeared.No’s.2 & 4. (London House) G.H. TEASDALE the date that No.2 was built is not known but No.4 (or a replacement) was being built in 1881. From c1884, the premises were occupied by Joseph Hugh Teasdale who was a linen and woollen draper, haberdasher, Glover and Hatter. Born in Chichester in 1829 and by 1841 was an apprentice draper to Mr John Jordan of Main Street, Pembroke. He was there in 1851 but appears to have joined the Navy. His widowed sister in law, Margaret C. Teasdale was aged 40 and born in Castlemartin. Margaret’s husband had become a partner with a Mr Joseph James in a drapery business at London House, 29 Pembroke Street. Margaret Teasdale lived there with her children – Hugh aged 8, George aged 7, Herbert aged 4, Walter aged 2 and Rose aged 1. The business was known as Teasdale and James. According to Mrs Peters, the firm of Teasdale and James, drapers, was one of the first shops to have gas lighting in the 1860s. By 1882 Joseph Hugh Teasdale had moved to Pembroke Dock to take over the draper’s business in Pembroke Street. It is probable that they moved to their new premises at Nos.2 and No.4 Pembroke Street at this time. Joseph became a Justice of the Peace and the first President of the Pembroke Dock and Milford Haven Chamber of Commerce in 1882. He died in 1897 and was the last person to be buried in Park Street Cemetery. When a new peal of bells was installed in St. John’s Church in 1902 the Teasdale family paid for one of them. The shop appears to have closed before 1939 because the premises were used by the fire service for a short time during W.W. II. Both buildings were demolished in 1956 and the Nunnery for the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary built on the site. This closed in the early 1990s and the building has now been sold. No.33 Pegler's Stores (pictured on next page) this was a double fronted shop with living accommodation over. The shop has now been converted to a house. No.35 From 1870 to some time after 1901 this yard was a coal yard operated by Miss Margaret Lewis. In the 1920s and 1930s a bake house existed on the site and an enamelled sign for ‘Millennium Flour’ appeared on the high gate. The yard subsequently became a blacksmith’s shop and later the works of Haven Welders who were steel fabricators. However the Admiralty still required more housing and eventually another three streets took shape, the first was named; FRIDAY STREETAcquired its name from the people coming to market, and would tie their horse to the metal rings on the edge of the pavement; with the launching of HMS Clarence this street renamed to:CLARENCE STREETBecause it was felt that HMS Clarence, launched in 1827, was a ship of the line, it deserved more than a Hotel which was on Victoria Terrace; Clarence Street also supported a Public House named the Castle.No.35 Mrs Evans were trading in ‘Nalther Tablets and Presto Powders’ I wonder what illness a person had to have for these or was it something for cleaning the floor!The second street to be built had over the year’s three names, the first was; ALBION LANEHowever those living in the street called it;NAILER’S LANEWhich derives from a maker of nails, who carried on his business in the street? The name was changed c1905 to become:WELLINGTON STREET In memory of Wellington’s success against Napoleon on June 18th 1815 At the same time the east side was demolished and re-built. In 1881 there were ten houses in the street. No. 1 Eliza Johnson, a widow aged 59 a Lodging House Keeper and Thomas Picton unmarried aged 38 a Wheelwright.No. 2 George W. Finn, a painter aged 55 and his wife Sarah aged 48, with their two sonsWilliam, unmarried aged 25 and James aged 18 both were Painters, their two daughters Sarah A. aged 13 and Emily aged 11. No. 3 James George, Skilled labourer aged 44, Ann his wife aged 40, daughters Mary Ann aged 17 and Sarah Jane aged 15 both were Domestic Servants. Emily, daughter aged 13, Henry G. George, son aged 7, and daughters Rosena aged 5 and Louisa aged 8 months. No. 4 James T. Harries, seaman aged 25 and Isabella, wife aged 25. No. 4 Thomas Rees aged, Greenwich Pensioner and his wife Martha, aged 36. John Stanley, son aged 1 year and John Wilson, a Seaman (Boarder) aged 29. No. 5 Caroline Morris, a widow aged 59 and Peter son aged 15 – Errand boy. No 6 James Skahen, Blacksmith aged 50 and his wife Betsy aged 50. No. 7 Michael Morse, Blacksmith aged 28 and his wife Mary Ann Morse, aged 28. No. 8 Thomas Jones, Coal merchant aged 68 and his wife Rebecca aged 67. No. 9 Alfred Connolly, Shipwright aged 45 and wife Jessie aged 33, daughters Jessie aged 12, Adelaide aged 8 Florence aged 6, Alice aged 4, Matilda aged 9 months and Alfred son aged 10. No. 10 John Beynon, Pauper aged 99 and his wife Elizabeth aged 86 with their daughter Mary (widow) aged 41 who was a Muffin Vendor and Martha granddaughter aged 12. And was renamed to become:FRONT COTTAGES(Not to be mistaken with Front Street which overlooks the river)In 1816 this was the last street which the Admiralty allowed, and it consisted of just one row of cottages and was named Front Cottages, as it was the last row of houses to be constructed between it and Lower Road (Ferry Lane). A Congregational Chapel was opened on Good Friday 1824 which was situated at the southern end of the street, in the gardens of two of the houses. The reason for building in the gardens came about when the landlord refused to lease any land for a nonconformist chapel, however the gardens already had leases therefore the Landlord was powerless to stop them. This Chapel was so popular that it became too small for the congregation and although it was enlarged it was still not large enough, therefore it was replaced by a new Church on Albion Square c1867. The old building called Albion Hall, was used as a Public Hall (and later as a Salvation Army Barracks) until it was demolished in 1904, to allow for the completion of the present Wellington Street and Brewery Street houses.No.1 was added on at the south end of the street in 1820, which consisted of a two story house and was demolished in the 1970s as part of a road widening scheme. In 1939 this house was occupied by John Rossiter, Alice Mary Rossiter and Alice May Rossiter. In 1905 the houses in Front Street were demolished and replaced by two rows of houses, following which the road was renamed BREWERY STREET which was to commemorate the Royal Pembroke Dock Brewery, which was originally built in 1817 by Robert Lilwall and first appeared in Robson’s Commercial Directory in 1840, descendants of the family are still in the area. The three streets plus Commercial Row were joined at the north end by the track which went all the way to Ferry Lane, while on the south side they were connected by a vast flat open space from the old Brewery building on the east end and the Market Building (1826) on the west side, which was then named Albion Square after Albion House, which can be seen on page 48. As the Dockyard continued to grow so did the workforce who prompted yet more houses to be built, this time they went to the south side of the dockyard, these were named; MARKET STREETBecause it was close to the Market (1826)Nos. 1 to 9 - These houses were severely damaged in an air raid on the 6th November 1940. The sites were purchased in December 1952 by the Borough Council. A well known photograph showing the damage to Market Street and in the background similar damage to Princes Street and Cumby Terrace. PRINCES STREETAfter the Royal PrincesandQUEEN STREET WESTAfter Princess Victoria who in 1837 came to the throneSometimes referred to as: OFFICERS ROWThe original name was:CUMBY TERRACEThis information came from an Admiralty map now held by the town Museum, on which Queen Street West was sometimes referred to as ‘OFFICERS ROW’. Later, thought to be 1845/1850 this street was renamed Cumby Terrace, in remembrance of Captain Cumby R.N. who fought at Trafalgar, and who actually died in his office, which was in the Royal Dockyard at the age of 66 in 1837; and was buried in Park Street South Cemetery. A little note about the Cemetery and Chapel it was consecrated on the 26th September 1834 on land given by Thomas Meyrick. Christenings could also be carried out in the Chapel (when the Vicar was already present for a funeral) as a matter of convenience to the parents. The Parish Church for the area was St. Mary's, Pembroke until 1846, and although the Cemetery was not used for general burials after the Kingswood (Llanion) Cemetery open in 1869, there was still the occasional burial; the last of these being Mr J.H. Teasdale J.P. in 1898, Teasdale was also an Officer of the Pembroke Dock Artillery Corps. The Wikipedia encyclopedia states that Cumby’s grave site is now a car park; as yet (2009) this has not happened. MELVILLE STREETAn Admiralty Map which the Pembroke Dock Museum now have, show this street by this name, however at this time we cannot find where the name originated from. The speculation is that it came about following the publication, by Herman Melville 1819-1891, of the novel Moby Dick in 1851.All the buildings thus built, up to 1845/1850 was registered in Llanreath, and this was because at that time the nearest community was the village of Llanreath. We have very little information on this street, except for the following:Nos.1 and 2 These were severely damaged in an air raid on the 6th November 1940 and were demolished. No.2 the Farmer’s Arms which first registered in 1830, the Borough Council purchased the site in December 1952. No.3 was severely damaged in an air raid on the 12th May 1941 and demolished later. The occupiers, Mr Maurice Heath, aged 70 and his wife, Mrs Charlotte Elizabeth Heath aged 72 both lost their lives. This site was also purchased by the Borough Council in 1957. No.4 This house was also severely damaged by the same bomber and was demolished later. Mrs Agnes Blanche Robinson aged 52 lost her life. Melville Terrace (also known as Dockyard Street, the Avenue and Lover’s Walk), two houses were built on the corner of Melville Terrace and Melville Street by Mr Joseph Taylor R.N. which were subsequently bought by the Admiralty. They were used to house the Chief Boatswain and the Chief Inspector of Police. In 1959, the Borough Council purchased both houses from the Admiralty as housing stock, but they soon fell into disrepair and were demolished. Yet more houses and shops were about to be built, and as the town began to shape Commercial Row began to lose its glamour as the traders moved further away from the noise and smells of the dockyard. Commercial Row was practically empty at the turn of the century therefore in an effort to revitalise the area a program of tree planting was put in place between 1902/1903, it was also noted that where the trees were to be planted the Admiralty were the owners. However, as the land ultimately belonged to the Government and provided permission of the Lords of the Admiralty was given, tree planting could go ahead. Permission was forth coming and the planting went ahead, a certificate was given to those who planted a tree, one of these certificates has survived and we note that Miss Gwadys Webb planted tree number fifteen. In Mrs Peters book she wrote; ‘Some trees have recently been planted in Commercial Row. Councillor Davies of Princes Street has been the means of getting some saplings planted there a short distance from the hard, along the Dockyard wall and the lower side of the market-house. When these trees, which have been presented by different townspeople have grown, it is well within the range of possibility that Commercial Row may once again become the fashionable promenade as in the days of the unlovely crinoline and of Dun dreary whiskers.’ Miss Gwadys Webb planted tree number 15 in 1903. And because the land belonged to the Government, permission of the Lords from the Admiralty was necessary for the planting. While there were a few houses in the area by those who could afford to built, there was no further construction on a large scale for a year or two. The next batch of buildings were for the Officers of the Dockyard, and these houses were constructed each side of the same track which joined Clarence, Wellington and Brewery Street, but this new batch was approximately a mile away so relieving them of the noise and the smell of the ‘yard’, today those houses are on:HAWKESTONE ROADWhich was named after Hawkestone House in Shropshire, as Viscount Hill was Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces (1828-1842) and owned Hawkestone House in Shropshire, at some stage he married into the Meyrick family, who owned most of the land on which Pembroke Dock now sits. David John of Park Street North tendered an invoice dated January 18th 1902 to Mister Herbert for building his house at a cost of £351-10-0, that house is beside the stone wall of the Railway Station. Shortly after Hawkstone Road was completed a block of houses on the south side became known as: APLEY TERRACENamed after Apley Castle in Shropshire, when Thomas Charlton’s mother died in 1858 he inherited this castle (see also Charlton Hotel Bush St & Charlton Place), and he took his mothers maiden name ‘Meyrick’. Born 14th March 1837 died July 1921 aged 84, he was titled 1st Baronet Meyrick and as we know, one of the principal landowners in Pembrokeshire was T.C. Meyrick Esq. To day there are still a number of pubs and hotels named Charlton in Shropshire.Apley Terrace came about by taking those houses between Gwyther Street North and Argyle Street on the south side of the lane (Hawkestone Road) and renaming them.To date only two families have been located.No.1 Dr Donald Stewart and his wife Mary Elizabeth S. Stewart occupied this house. The house was three stories but was seriously damaged in the air raid of 12th May 1941 and completely rebuilt less the third floor. At some stage No’s.1, 2 & 3 were purchased by Mr Jimmy Lade who then adapted the houses to a home for the elderly under the name of Apley Lodge.No.8 Mr Fredrick William Powell was trading as a Draper from his front room in the 1900’s ARGYLE STREETApparently this name came from Plymouth and Argyle football team, in the early days of the Dockyard apprentice’s who signed up in Pembroke Dock travelled to Plymouth to learn the various trades. From here it gets a little difficult to confirm in what order Pembroke Dock grew, remembering that Commercial, Clarence, Wellington and Brewery Street was still registered in Llanreath, complete with the Market (1826) Market Street, Princes Street and Cumby Terrace.What can be confirmed is the first row of 15 houses which was constructed just 200 yards from the Admiralty housing in 1845, on what became Dimond Street.