QUEEN STREETIn honour of Her Majesty Queen VictoriaIt was felt that now Her Majesty having come to the Throne, it would be right and proper to remember her with a premier street; therefore as previously mentioned Queen Street West became Cumby Terrace.William Griffiths was again the building contractor, and he now used Dimond Street as his line for new houses, but there was a problem, because the line for the previous road (Dimond Street) had been taken from the line of the Admiralty houses, and because they were out of line, William Griffiths found himself creating an ‘S’ bend to join the track up, that bend is at the top of Queen Street. With the completion of this street it seals the original track going from the Dockyard to Ferry Lane for all time, with just a little diversion after Hawkestone Road where the ‘track’ curves in towards the railway and has now become known as ‘Bird Cage Walk’ but it still continues to Ferry Lane.You may also find it a little confusing, in respect of numbering some of the buildings; in essence you will read of some houses numbered in the 50’s and 60’ surrounded by numbers in the 30’s and 20’s, some of them have been demolished either for road widening or to create space, further more Upper Queen Street and East Queen Street was actually two different roads prior to 1906, but in that year the Borough Council renumbered the street.That said the present day Queen Street began to emerge, and the following will hopefully show who occupied which shop or Inn.Starting at the west end of the street:No.1 Lewis the Butcher occupied this corner, later it became a store for Brook Bond Tea, today it is a Dry Cleaners.No.2 was Edgerton’s Café and Restaurant (was this known as West End Café?): now it is a private house.No.3 was the Primrose Fish & Chip shop; now it is a private house. No.5 Tuckers Groceries and Sweets; now it is a private houseNo.6 The Commercial Hotel was listed in 1901; the licensee was Miss Alice Maud Smith. During WW2 the Commercial changed its name to the FLYING BOAT as the Sunderland Flying Boats arrived here in 1934 and remained here until 1958, the licensee is presently Lewis G. is and Mrs Sarah J. Edwards.No.7 Alburys General Store; today it is a private houseNo.12 In 1932 T.B. Morris & Co., traded as Grocers, Bakers and ConfectionersNo.13 At some time the Provincial Insurance PLC traded from this number.No.22 Bowen's Stores now long gone, is private housing. See also No.24No.23 Swan Inn was first published in the Slater Directory of 1870 the Licensee was Walter Griffiths; it was still trading in 1901 when the Licensee was William Evans. Today (2009) the Swan Inn is still trading.No.24 Bowen's Stores now long gone and is a private house. No. Possibly the first to trade from this address was a Millinery, following this was a Café then a Fish and Chip Shop; now it is a private houseNo.37 In 1932 a Butcher named Roch occupied this number. A café was here for a time, and was followed by a Wool Shop; now a private house. GABLES: During WW2 this corner was a wartime emergency water supply, in the 1950’s a building of multiple occupations for the disabled was erected, opened on 6th May 1964 by Cllr Frank Carr it was named the ‘Gables’. During the years 2008/9 it has under gone a complete upgrade and is nearly ready to receive new residence.No.43 the RISING SUN was entered in the Slater Directory for 1870 at which time the Licensee was William Gwyther. During the 1950’s it became and still is a Spiritualist Church.No.47 & 49 was occupied by Alfred Davies an Undertaker, following him it was used as a Green Grocers Store. When the store was vacated the building was demolished and used as a ‘un-officially’ car park.No.50 Hopla Shoe Shop for a little while and were followed by, the Salvation Army who used it for a short period, it next became Rossiters Vegetable’s store. This building was demolished when the corner was realigned to widen the road.No.51 This house was a distribution place for Sunday Papers now a private house.No.52 In 1908 Mr G. A. Sargent established a Chip Shop, his caption was ‘Open Saturday Mornings 11.30 to 1.30’. At some stage Constance took over; the last company to use this building was Western Arts, following their departure the building reverted back to a house. No.53 Rowland’s the Decorator traded here, today it is a private house.No.55 Burton the Butcher traded from here and some time later Scourfield took over. This building was demolished to make way for the GERSHOM CHAPEL which was built by the Calvinistic Methodists and opened on Christmas Day 1838. There was a gallery on three sides of the building and it is said to have held 500 people. It was sold to the Primitive Methodists in 1867/68 when the Calvinists moved to St. Andrew’s Chapel in Bush Street. The Gershom was last used by J.F. (Billy) Phillips as a car repair Garage, when he closed it laid empty; it was later cleared and grassed. To this day (January 2009) it has become a play area for children.No.57 Caleb James was a Saddler and Harness Maker – he described himself as being able to repair every description of saddles at the shortest notice.No.65 Caleb James was a cobbler and a saddler, at some stage the Hewitt Bothers had an electrical shop here, at which time the front became a Hair Dressers, today (2005) it is a private house. No.66 pre 1901 Morris the Baker was here; now a private house.No.67 pre 1901 Eastman’s the Butchers traded from here followed later by Davinas Clothing, and this was followed by a Cycle Shop. When the Barbers Salon took over, the angle of the door placed the building in Park Street were it is now registered No.18.No.68 Pre 1901 where Peter Small’s Grocers shop was here. At some time a Photographer from Pembroke worked from here, and in 1973 Mr. Roberts ‘SUIT HIRE’ moved in hiring men’s wear for special occasions. He moved to Laws Street in 1993, and in 2007 it was the Typing Services Business followed by the West Wales Mortgage Centre in 2008. No.93 B.R. ROSSITER trading in Ladies model wear, Linzi dresses, London Pride BlousesSuits by Rensor and Peter French plus Skirts and separates etc.No.75 Margaret Greive’s Sweet ShopNo.69 was pre 1901, now Fecci’s Ice Cream Parlour. At some time the building was revamped and is now a block of flats.No.27 Alison’s Sweet Shop was followed by G. Evans Greengrocers.No.22 Lewis the Chemist was followed by a Music Shop. Next it became a Gun Shop, and today (2009) it is a Dog Parlour.No.24 N. Sutton Milliner – Funeral parlour mourning orders promptly attended to. Now 2008 it is Tiger Lilly Florist.No.25 Church or Mission occupied this building and it was entered through a pair of ornate iron gates, it was later used as a garage by G. Edwards and later it was taken by Phillips Factors. Today (2009) it is a private house.No.29 This was an Antique Shop and later it became a Chip Shop. Today (2009) it is a private houseNo.71 ROSE and CROWN Public House first appeared in Hunt and Co’s Directory in 1850 the Licensee at that time was Richard Llewhellin, where at one time another Harfat the late Mr. Thomas (for years the bandmaster to the old Pembroke Yeomanry) was mine host, it was formerly a football club rendezvous. Now it has renamed to The Rose and Crown (Harfat is a person from Haverfordwest) Licensee in 2009 is Ceri J. Rowe. No.26 THE GUN TAVERN was listed in Slater’s Directory for 1870, the licence was held by Simon Thomas. In 1884 Slater’s Directory listed this Tavern at No.5 which was correct when Queen Street was separated i.e. Upper Queen Street and East Queen Street. The name came about when the Infantry handed the security of the Royal Dockyard to the Royal Artillery.No.26a Pater Jewellery and Silversmith, the Proprietor was Mr. Alec F. Munt who retired in 2006 the premises was put on the Market for sale.No.87 Canton the Butcher appears to be the first to occupy this building, he was followed by Alan Pork who was also a Butcher. Today (February 2009), now (2007) the Golden Bowl Cantonese & Chinese Take away business operates from here.PALACE CINEMA is listed in the 1923 Kelly’s Directory, the manager in that year was Tom Barger, his brother Norman lived in a house nearby, and his wife Marian was also listed separately as a retail Confectioner. During WW2 this building was used as a store, especially alloy from damaged Air craft. After the war it became a cinema followed by a Bingo Hall.No.30 NUTSHELL est. 1909 Arthur J. Hughes was selling; Printing Paper – Presents - Arms of Pembroke Dock – Gloss China & Fancy Goods from 41/2d up to 5/- . At some stage Vivian Hay bought the shop and extended into the two adjoining houses No.32 and 34 from where a newspaper was printed titled News in a Nutshell, the newspaper stopped in the early 1950’s and that part of the shop closed in the middle of 2008. Vivian Hay was also a County Councillor for many years, and was also a strong supporter the Quinn’s Rugby Team. No.77 Margaret Blake’s wool shop, this shop has now changed hands (2008) but has kept the name.No.99 Hunts the Baker were here for many years; is now a Take-away.No.98 Sears Fresh Fish Shop. In 2005 a company called Perfect PC’s, Computer Engineer, leased this building. No.97 This was a Fabric Shop and is now a Hairdresser.No.96 Alan Pork’s butchery at some stage he relocated to Canton’s shop in upper Queen Street. Wren the Barber moved into this building.No.95 This house was adapted to become a Job Centre, later it became a Charity Cancer Shop.No.93 Ye Old Swan public house occupied this building, but as yet there is no further information. At some stage it reopened as a Butchers Shop followed by the Yip Bing Laundry who moved here from Dimond Street, it next supported a Chip Shop followed by Mrs Rossiter Dress Shop. At some stage in the 1990’s J.F. (Billy) Philips opened Central Motor Works, retailing goods relating to vehicles. No.40 South West Associates Insurance & Mortgage consultants. Later moved to No.48 Dimond Street and this shop became a Family Dental Practice.No.44A SECOND HAND FURNITURE shopNo.46 PEMBROKE POTTERY was sold from here, when it closed in 2004 a Furniture shop opened under the slogan ‘NEW to you FURNITURE’.No.94 The London Tavern was here prior to 1900 but as yet no further information. At some stage it became the office of the Pembroke Dock Co-Operative Ship Building Company Limited, followed by Gibby’s Sweet Shop. The shop has been bordered up for many yearsNo.91 Was the Commercial Hotel which renamed to the Royal Edinburgh in memory of the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh who launched the vessel of that name in March 18th 1882. Apparently it was a cold wet night when the owner Mr. W. B. Price, who was well known as one of the smartest business men in Pembroke Dock, officially opened the doors. It was also noted that many well-known Tenbyites and Honey-Harfats with others assembled to join in the celebrations. In 2005 the building was converted into a ground floor shop with apartments over, a ladies cloths shop and Davinas Restaurant.The following has yet to find their location.(TREFFGARNE HOUSE was where Percy Williams & Co Drapers and Outfitters traded. ?????) (No. W.E. THOMAS & SON Estate Agents & Valuer’s managed by Anthony Thomas F.S.V.A. Tasty House Oriental Food ??????)(MARKS CURTAIN SHOP ????) GORDON STREETWas named after General Charles George Gordon, (1833 – 1885) who at the age of 19½ was a Lieutenant with the Submarine Engineers. He rented No.61 Bush Street prior to receiving his orders to join the troops at Sevastopol. A little known piece of history surrounds this street, which happened in the period 1925 to 1959. A fishing vessel named ‘Boy Clawed’ lays buried below the tar macadam on the corner at the bottom of the street, this came about when the area was claimed from the sea. When Richard Allen moved his shipbuilding yard from Water Street in the 1850s the line of the cart track lay between a dock to the north and a building slip to the south. This track became known as ‘The Bridge’ and the name appears to have originated from the way in which the track crossed the dock gates at the entrance to the dry dock. The car park, now known as the Gordon Street Car Park, was referred to in 1966 as ‘The Bridge Car Park’.The southern part of the car park, close to the DSS Building was Elfords Recycling yard, where periodically a Steam Roller would be used to crush large pieces of metal such as cars etc. Parfits establishment has a colourful history as the first occupant was Maskel’s Scrap Yard, when he moved on that whole area was allotments, this was followed by Mark Clarks Car Sales, and finally Parffits Carpets moved into what was the car sales warehouse. The railway lines going across the road are all that is left, and was used to move freight to and from the Royal Dockyard, however with the rail lines long gone it has become a haven for collecting rubbish, In February Tidy Towns came to Pembroke Dock to help with a week of cleaning the town, following which the Town Council began to claim the area with a view of grassing the area.KING STREETNamed after the KingNo.1 Globe Public House - Formerly known as the Albion it is one of the first Public Houses to be built in the Town. Apparently it was built in 1815 on the north western corner of Middle Street (King Street) and closed prior to WW II. It was demolished in 1948. I understand that the Council’s foreman and the steam roller driver could be found there on Friday afternoons after they had been paid. The foreman’s wife is said to have often chased her husband home to Prospect Place with her umbrella if he stayed too long in the pub! Nos. 3 to 55 (odd numbers) King Street North Side All these houses were demolished as the result of clearance area procedures from 1960 onwards. Number 55 on the corner of Gravel Lane was at one time the Forester’s Arms Public House. Nos. 2 and 10 - These were two storied houses and were damaged in an air raid. They were demolished before 1945. No 10A - Number 10A is reputed to have been a public house called the Old Lion, and afterwards a bakery and shop. It is said to have been burned down when it was a bakery. It was a cleared site by 1953 and was purchased as part of the Clearance Area. Nos. 4, 6, and 8 - These houses formed Clearance Area No. 12 in 1957 and were purchased by the Borough Council for demolition and redevelopment.Nos. to 12 to 22 (even Nos.) - These formed Clearance Area No. 18 and were demolished c1967. No. 24 - This single fronted, two storied house was the subject of a demolition order in 1957 and was purchased by the Council for demolition. Nos. 26 to 48 – These houses on the south side of the street were all demolished as a result of clearance area procedures. They were demolished in the late 1960s. KING STREET EASTNo. 50 – This house is believed to have been damaged in an air raid and was demolished before 1953. No. 52 - This house is believed to have been damaged in an air raid and was demolished before 1953. No. 54 - -This was a detached three storied house on the south side of the street. It was damaged during W.W.II and was left to become derelict. A Demolition Order was made in the 1950s and it was purchased by the Council for clearance. Nos. 56, 58, 60 and 60A - These were Clearance Area No. 16 in 1958. They were purchased by the Council and demolished as part of the general redevelopment of the area. Number 60A was already a ruin. No. 62 – A demolition order was made on this house in November 1957. It was not demolished but used in connection with a radio and television business in Queen Street. In 1939 it was occupied by John Cook and his wife Elizabeth. No. 64 – This house was subject to a demolition order. It was a two storied detached house which was not demolished but had the upper storey removed and the ground floor turned into a garage. In 1939 it was occupied by Edward Arthur Cook and Alice Mary White. Slaughterhouse - This privately owned Slaughterhouse was licensed in 1883 and was operated by Mr W. James & Son who also had a butcher’s shop at 30 Dimond Street. It was a small slaughterhouse with lairage for four cattle, two calves, ten sheep and ten pigs. The slaughterhouse was situated on the north side of the street adjoining a small quarry. The quarry, which is shown on the 1772 Bush Estate map, later became a builder's yard. The remaining buildings were demolished during the construction of Western Way. In 1906 the Borough Council decided that this street would be numbered as part of King Street.
(Amendment, updates and additions) (AJ) Anndra Johnstone